Clean and Elegant

Clean and Elegant

Friday 11 March 2011

How Do You Get Through Your Day-To-Day Life

These days, whenever something horrendous and traumatic happens in the world, I wonder what it must be like to be old.  To have seen so many catastrophes-wars, tsunamis, terrorist attacks, cancer, spinal cord injuries, mudslides-and still remain adequately composed to make the bed every morning and buy groceries.  I remind myself a little bit of Mike Kyle, a middle-aged man with an intellectual disability.  I met Mike at a relatively Christian summer camp.  He always volunteered to say grace.  Without fail, his grace was full of deep and impossible existential questions for God.

"God, how did you make the world?  You're so big and so nice and I just don't understand.  And Todd drives me nuts.  I wish he didn't, but he does.  And God, I don't know what to do...."

On a couple of occasions, at the breakfast table, or on the dock, where I served as a lifeguard, Mike would peer at me with scrunched up eyes and utter bewilderment.  Earnestly he'd ask, "Erica.  How do you get through your day-to-day life?"  At the time, I was only seventeen.  I probably smiled and thought, what a sweet man. Perhaps I offered an answer, but certainly it wouldn't have satisfied Mike's concern and curiosity.  "I don't know, Mike.  I just do.  It's just one of those things."

Mike Kyle died four or five years ago.  He was brushing his teeth.  Either he choked on his toothbrush or part of his toast from breakfast. Another tragedy to add to the tsunamis and the spinal cord injuries. I'm certain he would have been devastated to hear about the earthquake in Japan.  "But why, God?  Why?"

I don't know, Mike. It's just one of those things. But it's hard to get through our day-to-day lives, isn't it?

Peace to the world on this difficult day.

The End.


Ajanta Caves, India, December 2015

Exuberant Bodhisattva on Facebook
Twitter: @mypelvicfloor
I Let Go, by Erica J. Schmidt

My Life's Purpose
What People Really Need
How I Am Old

No comments:

Post a Comment